Growing up, my understanding of this era started and ended with one sentence: Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves.That was it. Happy ending.
But watching this documentary for class, I realized how wrong that framing really is. Emancipation wasn't the end of a story. It was the beginning of one of the most complicated chapters in American history.
It technically started on April 9, 1865, when Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Union General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House. Just five days later, on Good Friday, Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth, cutting short whatever vision he had for what came next.
What struck me first was how quickly hope turned into resistance. Formerly enslaved people spent the early days of freedom searching for family members who had been sold away, placing newspaper ads and walking long distances just to find a mother, a child, a spouse. That alone was heartbreaking to learn.
Then came Reconstruction itself, and honestly, this is where I was most shocked.
I had no idea that Black Codes and vagrancy laws basically recreated slavery under a different name. If a Black person didn't sign a year-long labor contract, they could be arrested, fined, and auctioned off to work off that fine for whoever paid it. Even children weren't safe. Families could be broken apart through so-called "apprenticeships," with white employers taking custody of Black children and no say given to the parents.
I also didn't realize how much power Andrew Johnson had in shaping this outcome. He publicly blamed the planter class for the war, yet by the summer of 1865 he was personally pardoning wealthy Southerners who came asking for forgiveness. The Freedmen's Bureau, meanwhile, was trying to provide education and support using funds partly drawn from seized Confederate property, but it couldn't undo Johnson's policies on its own.
Groups like the Ku Klux Klan specifically targeted Black families who had managed to acquire land or build some kind of success, which explains a pattern of racial violence, like the Charleston massacre, that stretches far beyond this one era.
It's strange to think that some of the same tensions from this period, around race, rights, and who truly counts as an equal citizen, are still being worked out today.
Learning this made me realize Reconstruction isn't really history in the past-tense sense.
AI DISCLOSER; for this AI assisted assignment I used valued aid to do history research on my topic. After prompting the tool to do research based only on academic and other high-quality sources, I asked Claude to shape the material in the form of a script for an oral presentation of four minutes. I then asked Claude to shape the material in the form of a blog post of between 500 and 600 words. I edited the AI output for reliability. I also policed the linked sources for quality control. To the log post, I added visual elements and links to sources. I also made sure the paragraphs were short and in a personal style.
No comments:
Post a Comment