Reaction to EOTO
Writing this blog post about “40 Acres and a Mule”
helped me better understand an important part of Reconstruction that I did not know much about before. Before researching this topic, I had heard the phrase “40 Acres and a Mule,” but I never knew where it came from or why it was so significant. Learning that the federal government actually promised land to formerly enslaved people, only to take that opportunity away a short time later, was surprising and disappointing.In my opinion, the promise of land could have completely changed the lives of many freed families. After centuries of slavery, owning land would have given people the chance to support themselves, build wealth, and create a better future for their children. Instead, when President Andrew Johnson returned the land to former Confederate owners, many Black families lost the opportunity to become independent. They were forced into sharecropping, which often kept them trapped in poverty and debt. I think this decision had long-lasting effects that continued for generations.
One part of this topic that stood out to me the most was that the original order never actually promised a mule. I had always assumed the phrase was written into the order, but I learned that the mules came later when the Army loaned surplus animals to help settlers work the land. It showed me how history can sometimes be misunderstood or simplified over time.
Researching this topic also made me realize how one government decision can affect people for decades. The failure to follow through on the promise of land ownership contributed to economic inequality that historians still discuss today. While no one can change what happened in the past, I think it is important to learn about these events so we can better understand why certain issues still exist.
Overall, I enjoyed researching this topic because it taught me something new and challenged what I thought I already knew. It reminded me that history is not just about memorizing dates and events but about understanding how decisions impact real people. This blog post gave me a greater appreciation for the importance of keeping promises and recognizing how historical events continue to influence society today.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment